One of the things that make man distinct from all other creatures is his ability to think and create things which make life much easier and better for him. The need for something to use as wipe after using the toilet led to the invention of the tissue paper. Before then, different people from different parts of the world used different materials such as, wood shavings, grass, leaves, hay, water etc., to clean themselves after using the toilet.
Tissue paper is one of the essential commodities in our society today because of its numerous uses. For instance, almost everybody uses tissues paper after using the toilet and most eateries, after serving food provide serviette. It used in the dining, whether at home or in schools etc.
Tissue paper has a wide range of application in our world today. Because of its wide area of application and usefulness, it is a business with good prospects and numerous avenues for making money from, hence, the need to maximize this opportunity to go into tissue paper production.
Now, there are many aspects to tissue business. Let me assume that you are interested in the production aspect. The remainder of this article discusses the requirement for starting a tissue factory and how to go into the production of tissue paper in Nigeria, successfully.
How to Start A Tissue Manufacturing Company
To own a tissue manufacturing company, there are certain things that are required of you. I discuss these briefly below:
1. Knowledge Required
To own a tissue paper company, you don’t need any special training, especially where you simply wish to invest money and allow the professionals to do the job. All that you need is the business idea. Secondly, you need the right hands to do the job. This is perhaps the greatest knowledge you need in this business – (1) the business idea (how it works) and (2) the right people for the job. That’s all.
2. Business Registration
What now follows is business registration, which you can do at the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) office in any state in Nigeria, but preferably in the state where you intend to site your factory.
3. Business Plan
Since it is a company, there should be a well-defined business plan for this business. A typical business plan for tissues production should contain a formal statement of business goal, attainable reasons and how to achieve them. It may also contain background information about the business.
4. Tools and Equipment Needed
In starting a tissue manufacturing company, the following are the tools or assets needed.
- Land: first you will need a land where the factory can be sited. Unless there is land already, you will need to buy enough land that can contain the factory; the cost of buying a land depends solely on the location of the land.
- Building/structures: build a factory where all the equipment will be installed and used.
- you will need a pant with enough capacity to power the machinery in the factory.
- Tissue paper manufacturing plant: Which consist of the following;
- Hydrapulper: this is used to beat down the fiber into pulp. The hyrapulper can be divided into two according to function; d type hydrapulper. And the rotary drum type hydrapulper.
- Pulp refiner; this is used for coarse, refined grinding and continuous pulp breaking
- Screen: this machine is used to screen and remove impurities from the pulp suspension it is of two types, vibrating and suspension screen
- Horizontal mixer: this is a mixing equipment that is used for slurry tank underground. It can make the pulp and water even in mixing degree.
- Vacuum pump: it is used for vacuum dewatering
- Desander: this machine uses centrifugal theory to remove large adhesive mixture, sand, stone, paraffin etc.
- Vehicle: for a start, a bus may be ok, but with time you may need to get a truck to transport the finished products
The whole business idea will be useless if there is no finance to put them in place. To raise money for the company, you can get a loan; get people to partner with in order to raise the capital. Understand that some of the machines above are very costly, even as much as N2m for one, talk-less of money for Generating plants, fuelling, purchase of vehicles for transportation etc. From the look of things, therefore, you will need at least N10, 000, 000 for a start.
Siting and Factory Location
The factory should be located in a place where the raw materials to be used are not far-fetched. To reduce the cost, I recommend that you site it in an industrial area with a ready supply of man, materials and good infrastructure.
Management And Staffing
This company will have need of the following classes of employees:
- Plant operators to take care of the generating plant and the manufacturing plant.
- Engineers, especially chemical and mechanical engineer, to manage the entire plant operations.
- An accountant to keep records of the financial status of the business.
- Receptionist to receive guests and visitors
- Security personnel to guard the factory premises.
- Driver(s) to transport the raw materials, men and finished products to and from the factory.
You need to create sufficient awareness about the company in order to make speedy sales. You can simply place adverts on billboards in town and paste posters by the roadside. You can also do jingles on television and radio and even distribute flyers to people.
Some Productivity and Sustainability Tips
In order to keep the customers coming, you will need to make them happy, by providing credit grant to some clients, providing free delivery services for some customers especially those who buy in bulk. These will make them happy and to keep patronizing you.
Now That You Have Known…
Opening a tissue business is a great idea. If you want to go into it, go into it! Like you have seen, the business is a lucrative one. If you argue this, tell me one person that does not or will not use tissue in his lifetime; there is no such person. Hence, tissue business is big business. The better part of the business is that its raw materials are not hard to get. Finally, you may not need too much capital to start, depending on proposed the size of your company and how much you wish to make from the venture.