There is no point asking, “is snacks business worth doing?” or “is snacks business profitable in Nigeria?” let me ask you, “Who doesn’t eat snacks?” almost nobody! So, if this is a business which products almost everyone patronizes, then, asking whether the business is profitable or not is not necessary.
What you should rather be asking is, “How do I make millions producing and selling snacks in Nigeria?” that is why you are here. In the next 3 minutes, I will take you by the hand and show you what you should know and do to make millions making and selling snacks in Nigeria. Now, let’s go.
First, Acquire Professional Training & Certifications
Except you want to be a financial investor, else to run a good snacks making business, you must be properly educated and trained in the arts of making and selling snacks in Nigeria.
You can acquire these skills by simply enrolling in a good catering school or via formal education in a tertiary institution in Nigeria. Popular catering schools in Nigeria where you can learn amongst other things, snacks making include the following:
- CMK Culinary located at 39 Osolo Way, Ajao Estate, Lagos Nigeria.
- Red Dish Chronicles located at 32 Bawala Street, Charlie Boy Bus Stop, Gbagada, Lagos Nigeria.
- Styda Culinary Academy located at 35 Airport Road, by Gemstone Stores Almost opp Edjeba Junction, Warri, Delta State
- The Sense of Taste Specialty Caterers located at 12, Efunsetan Street, Araromi Bus-Stop,, Iyana-Ipaja, Lagos Nigeria
- Topearl Institute located at Topearl Avenue, 175 Abuloma Road, Port Harcourt, Rivers
- Wavecrest College of Hospitality located at 75 Adisa Bashua Street, Surulere, Lagos
- Dof Institute located at 43 Oritshe Street, Ikeja, Lagos Nigeria
- HBS Hotel School located at 1b George Str / 74, Olowora road, Omole phase 2, Lagos
- Topkraft Culinary Academy located at Okubankole Mafe Avenue Laderin Estate, Abeokuta, Ogun Nigeria
- Zealous Hits Training Institute located at 152 Abeokuta Exp.Way, Araromi Bus Stop, Iyana-Ipaja, Lagos Nigeria
- Soundbite Nigeria Cookery School,
- Avery’s Cooking School located at Festac Town, Lagos
Also, the following schools offer courses related to the culinary industry in Nigeria where snacks making equally falls into:
- MKAR – University of Mkar, Benue
- MOUNTAIN TOP
- NDU – Mountain Top University,
- NORTHWEST – Northwest University, Kano
- NOVENA – Novena University, Ogume
- NTNU – Nigeria Turkish Nile University
- OAU – Obafemi Awolowo University
- ODUDUWA – Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu
- ONONG –
- OOU – Olabisi Onabanjo University
- OSUSTECH – Ondo State University of Science and Technology
- PAUL – Paul University, Awka
- PHC – University of Port-Harcourt
- PLSU – Plateau State University, Bokkos
- POL-ACAD – Nigerian Police Academy, Wudil
- REDEEMERS – Redeemers University
- RENAISSANCE – Renaissance University Ojiagu, Agabani
- RSUST – Rivers State University of Science and Technology
- SALEM – Salem University
- SAU – Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- SOSU – Sokoto State University
- SOUTHWESTERN – Southwestern University, Ogun
- TANSIAN – Tanisan University
- UDU – Usmanu Danfodio University
- UMUDIKE – Michael Okpara University of Agriculture
- UMYUK – Umaru Musa Yaradua University
- UNIOSUN – Osun State University
- UNIKINGS – Kings University, Osun
- UNN – University of Nigeria Nsukka.
- VARITAS – Varitas University
- WESTERN-DEL – Veritas University, Abuja
- WESLEYUNI – Wesley University Ondo
- NASARAWA – Nasarawa State University, Keffi
- CRAWFORD – Crawford University Of Apostolic Faith Mission
- RHEMA – Rehema University, Aba
- EKSU – Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti
- KWASU – Kwara State University, Malete, Ilorin
Apart from Food technology, you may consider Food Science and Technology as a discipline under which you can learn Snacks making business. Some of the schools in Nigeria offering Food Science and Technology as a course include:
- Imo State University (IMSU)
- University of Nigeria (UNN)
- Abia State University (ABSU)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Bells University of Technology (BELLS)
- Bayero University Kano (BUK)
- Bowen University (BU)
- Ebonyi State University (EBSU)
- Enugu State University Of Science And Technology (ESUT)
- Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA)
- Federal University of Technology Minna (FUTMINNA)
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology (MAUTECH)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK)
- Rivers State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- University of Uyo (UNIUYO)
- University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (UNAAB)
- kogi State University (KSU)
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture (MOUAU)
- Crawford University (CRAWFORD)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University (JABU)
- Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi (FUAM)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti (FUOYE)
- Federal University, Wukari (FUWUKARI)
- Kano University Of Science And Technology (KUST)
- University Of Mkar (UNIMKAR)
Good catering schools and or tertiary institutions where you can learn snacks-making related skills dot the entire Nigerian landscape. Choose one and enroll.
You need professional training in snacks production and management to be able to produce your products, and package, promote and maintain your business. It is also in these schools that you’ll get professional certifications which will enhance your career. Professionalism, it must be stressed, is a sine qua non to business excellence and there is no point arguing this fact.
Develop a Good Business Plan
A detailed business plan on snacks making in Nigeria is a sine qua none to the success of the business. This is so because a snacks making business plan serves as a guide and an aid in setting up the business from start to progression, without losing track of the business goals.
Among-st other things, your business plan should include the cost estimates, where to buy raw materials and their prices, the level of competition and success strategies, profits projection and exit or survival strategies should things go awry. It also incorporates the company name, goals, vision mission and branding.
Your business plan is your success Bible. It is not cast-in-concrete, and hence, must be adhered to conscientiously.
Business Registration and Censorship In Nigeria:
What follows is the registration of your business. In Nigeria, business name registration is done at the Corporate Affairs Commission of Nigeria (CAC) offices spread nationwide. You can get more information on this by taking a walk into any of the CAC offices nationwide or visit the CAC official website at http://new.cac.gov.ng/home/
CHECK OUT: HOW TO REGISTER YOUR BUSINESS IN NIGERIA
Aside from registering the business with the CAC, since you are dealing with food, you will then proceed to any of the NAFDAC Offices nationwide for approval and obtainment of NAFDAC registration number. These steps will help authenticate and legalize the existence of your business. You should also ensure that you meet the tax obligations of the state that you establish your business.
Where you cannot carry out the above by yourself, employ the services of a qualified lawyer to assist with the legal processes. By doing everything legally, you would avoid unnecessary harassment by the government and/or its officials.
The Suitable Location for Snacks Making Business In Nigeria.
For this kind of business, the recommended location for siting is a place with a cheap and regular supply of raw materials, labor, and other amenities.
Even if the raw materials are not sourced where the business is located, there should be a good transportation network to bring them in without stress. Since it is an industry, map out an area with an almost steady supply of public power supply.
An industrial layout such as the ones in Lagos, Kano, Port Harcourt etc. is good for establishing snacks making business.
Equipment/Tools Needed For The Business
Below are some of the basic snacks making business equipment you should consider getting:
- Industrial Oven
- Deep fryer
- Freezer and refrigerator
- Food processor
- Work tables (remember to coat the surface of the table with durable material that would not leave wood particles in the snacks)
- Spoons of various sizes
- Industrial Pots
- Industrial Gas or stove cooker
- Variety of cake pans
- Muffin trays
- Sealing machine
- Packing nylons
- Show glass
- Trays and Shelve to keep products and allow them to cool off and for products display as well
Materials Needed for Snacks Production:
Below are some major materials needed for snacks production:
- Edible fat
- Vegetable oil
- Egg for egg roll production
- Minced meat.
Get Snacks Business Insurance In Nigeria.
Anything can happen anytime while production ensues; an unexpected accident can occur! To cover such risk conditions and losses, it is advisable to ensure your business to avoid regrets. There are many insurance companies in Nigeria. Among the many options include:
- Custodian Insurance Plc.
- Consolidated hallmark insurance
- Lead way Insurance
- IGI Insurance
- Gold link Insurance
- Niger Insurance Plc.
- NEM Insurance
- Mutual Assurance Plc.
- Staco Insurance Plc.
- Mutual Benefits
- Royal Exchange
Finance is not going to be that much for a start. But if not for anything, as you have seen thus far, you need money to register the business, rent/build a suitable business location, buy equipment – most of which are very costly, employ staff – since you can’t run this business alone, and pay for miscellaneous and unforeseen events even during start-up. So, you need money for the startup, say N500, 000, considering these projections.
Not to panic, though, with good planning, you can always get the money. The money can come from your personal saving, a loan from your Banks, loan from Money Lenders, support from angel investors, financial support from your family and/or friends, business partners, support from the government, grants, aids, etc.
That is why you need to have a good business plan ready because you’ll need it at times such as this.
You can start with zero employees at the initial stage of the business. But as the business expands, employ one or two persons with integrity and ability to assist. These must not all be professionals at the job; for with time, they will learn on the job. Consider expanding your staff base as the business expands.
Seek Professional Advise
Get closer to people who have been in this business long before you for professional advice and guidance. The cherished expert knowledge from veterans, marketers, and merchants of snacks making business is almost all you need to sail through. They will advise you on what to do, how to do it, when to do what, and why you should (or should not) do what. Consider liaising with them if you must have a speedy breakthrough in this business.
Some Productivity, Advertisement, and Marketing Tips:
The profitability of your snacks business in Nigeria is a function of your marketing and advertorial strategies
Liaise With Snacks Distributors Nationwide
One good place to start is with snacks distributors nationwide. Offer them free samples of your products. Once they are convinced and want to partner with you, make them your distributors. Supermarkets are also good places to market your products.
Run Online Adverts
You can, however, choose to go online and run adverts on a few websites and the social media to boost your patronage. Enlist your snack production business listed on online directories and yellow pages too.
Leverage On The Mass Media
Moving away from the internet, you can also leverage on the mass media tools Such as the radio, television, newspaper, magazines etc.
4. Sell directly
You can simply sell your products directly to eateries, supermarkets, restaurants, offices etc.
Some Sustainability Tips
No matter how good your products are, if you aim to be a major snacks producer in your locality, then you must work for it. So, I recommend that you,
- Create a better relationship with your customers.
- Be friendly with your customers, knowing that “the customer is always right” – though not a perfect truth!
- Offer incentives like lowering the price of the goods to someone who buys in bulk and reducing the prices for regular customers too.
- Finally, ensure that you offer quality products at all times.
So, beyond marketing, your relations with customers matters a lot. If you must go far in this business, endeavor to be as cordial as possible.
Summary & Conclusion
Snacks making business, as you have seen is very profitable because almost everyone from the president to a boy of 2 years eats snacks very well. You have seen how to start snacks making business in Nigeria – the basics, business registrations, skills acquisitions, equipment and materials, marketing and management, etc. With this piece, you now have a blueprint of what the business entails.
As you have seen, starting a snacks making business in Nigeria it is somewhat cost-intensive, unless you wish to operate a petti snacks making business, which is not what this article encourages. Think big and earn bigger! Thank you for the time spent in reading this article.
Kindly comment below if you have something to add or a question to ask.